Just to the northeast of Andros, on the northeastern edge of the
Great Bahama Bank, lie the Berry Islands, a stirrup-shaped chain
of 30 cays and numerous smaller islets. The Berrys, as locals call
them, were believed to have been first settled in 1836 when Governor
Colebrooke established a settlement of liberated Africans at
Great Harbour Cay.
The Berries (population
634) offer beautiful opportunities for both divers and snorkelers.
Visitors will also find challenging
dive spots, a nine-hole golf course and miles of beautiful,
The two largest, Great Harbour Cay and Chub Cay, are where most of
the Berry Island residents live, and are the centers for activity.
Chub Cay, the
southernmost cay of the Berry chain, is known as the
"Billfish Capital of The Bahamas" -- and The Berry
Islands are second only to The Bimini Islands for championship sport fishing. During the month of May, the annual fishing
tournament is held in Great Harbour Marina. It is an event that
draws sport fishermen from around the world.
Between Great Harbour
Cay and the Sturrup Cays are a number of privately owned Cays,
including Bird Cay, Whale Cay, Frozen and Alder's Cays, Little
Harbour Cay and Little Whale Cay.
Lighthouse, built in 1863, is said to have a resident ghost.
Inland Blue Holes and the so-called Fishbowl of The Bahamas at
Chub Cay add much to that cay's claim to be a major dive centre.
The Chub Cay Wall,
which starts at 80 feet and drops to 4000 feet, provides divers
with a magnificent look into the deep. The Canyons is located in
45 feet of water and has a variety of swim-throughs, tunnels and
large coral arches. Another popular site is the Eel Garden which
starts at 40 feet of water over white sand with hundreds of garden
eels, southern stingrays and parrot fish. A rollover covered with
coral heads continues down to about to about 75 feet.
A popular stopover for
yachtsmen en route between Florida and Nassau, it is claimed that
The Berry Islands boast more millionaires per square mile than
most places on earth.